Spacevidcast Live – Space News for the week of Oct 11, 2009 – 2.31

We cover space news for the week of October 11th to the 17th, 2009 in this live epicsode. We also talk a bit about cross contamination of planets.

This text will be replaced

Posted in

1. MarcusZ on October 16, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Unfortunately, the video is only about 7 minutes and 30 seconds long 🙁

2. Aerospike on October 16, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Unfortunately, the video is only about 7 minutes and 30 seconds long 🙁

• Aerospike on October 18, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for putting it up on youtube now I was finally able to see the rest of the show 🙂
      Thanks for another great show!

Regarding contamination: I really think we should _at least_ carefully study any life we may find on another planet (if there happens to be any), before we decide that maybe it would be in hour best interest that we just don’t care if we destroy it.

So we really have to prevent any forward contamination, because we can’t really find out if life exists anywhere else if we bring our very own stuff with us and mess everything up right from the start.

• Bencredible on October 19, 2009 at 1:19 am

What if we don’t find any life there until humans set foot on the planet?

• Aerospike on October 19, 2009 at 9:03 am

Well, obviously, then we would have to investigate it after we have arrived there? 😉

I’m not saying, that we should preserve any other life out there just because it would be “wrong” to do otherwise. I’m not proposing to stay back home at earth, because there MIGHT be some undiscovered microbes somewhere on Mars or Europa or someplace else.

But on the other hand I don’t want to see humans to trample around the solar system with the good old “who cares?”-attitude that we have shown so often in the past, oblivious to any other form of life that may be out there and/or ignoring any influence we might have on another ecosystem.

3. KaiYves on October 17, 2009 at 12:39 am

I LIKE the Space News gesture…

4. MarcusZ on October 18, 2009 at 12:47 pm

5. MarcusZ on October 19, 2009 at 2:03 am

6. moonriver2 on October 19, 2009 at 7:21 pm

P.S. Bring back the Jazz Hands

7. Moonriver on October 20, 2009 at 2:20 am

Great show – thanks for shout out to Gary V – I assume that’s me since I am a meglo-manic. One criticism: Defying Gravity was a Great Show. There is One Best Way to sell space – Sex. And that show, dubbed (by me) “Sex in Space” had that basic principle figured out. I am sure that in 10 yeas there will be a spike of young people wantinf to join the astronaut corps because of those few episodes. NASA should have bought all of the advertising, just to keep it alive and build support. This is more proof that NASA is grossly mismanaged.

• Moonriver on October 20, 2009 at 2:21 am

P.S. Bring back the Jazz Hands

8. Shannon Moore on October 23, 2009 at 10:04 am

9. Guest on October 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Geek Gal (@Ageekmom) is attending the STS-129 tweetup, gang! Sorry I’ve been missing your live shows. If Atlantis launches, tweetup attendees will be watchin’ from the countdown clock! *woot*